Interesting problem.

The use of two Garamond fonts from different found arises will no necessarily
produce discernibly different characters. A totally different don't family
should be used instead of two Garamond fonts.

I have noticed that on Windows, font representation accuracy diminishes when
viewing at less than 100%. I've noted that characters lose definition unless
viewed at 120% magnification.

That seems to be part and parcel of the Windows font management code under high
resolution screen viewing.

Scott T.