From: Heiko Haida [mailto:i...@heiko-haida.de]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:35 PM
To: Fei Min Lorente; Framers
Subject: RE: Shortcut keys for rotate clockwise/counter-clockwise

Hello Fei Min,

you are probably right with presuming that there is no way to apply the "rotate
page" command to more that just the actual page.
I could not find any hint about this.

Of course you could: Remap the command to a different, shorter shortcut. Or:
Add the command to a menu.
All this would not solve your problem, I think.

a)
One way would be to write a short program (e.g. with framescript or with
Extendscript) that lets you enter the relevant pages and either rotates them
this way or back.
(Unfortunately I am no help in writing this tool.)

b)
I thing the best approach is to work with a rotated master page, as was already
mentioned:

You should define one new master page with landscape orientation and a main
text frame in it in the appropriate size, in a comfortable view for editing. It
is not necessary to add headers and footers unless these were also continuous
textflows. Nor is it necessary to create different left and right pages, as you
would only use the page temporariliy.

As you are obviously working with structured applications, this new page should
be applied to your template, so that it becomes available in each document that
you generate.

This done, you can apply the master page to the page range where the index is
located with a single command (in the master page menu). Then you would edit
the content. The you would reapply the master pages that are intended to be
used here. Probably you have to distinguish between right and left pages, so
this time you would need two actions to get back to the original format.

And thats it...

c)
Other solutions are:
-- You could use a screen that can be rotated... I have one, but with a
configuration like this (screen rotated, content editable but not *really*
rotated), it takes some skill to move the cursor, either with a mouse or with
the arrow keys...

-- Or you could use the landscape orientation page as a standard for your index
pages and not the 8x11 inch portrait master pages.
Depending on what the purpose is, you may then e.g. simply rotate the pages in
the final PDF as the very last step. This would also be helpful for reviewing
the content meanwhile in the PDF. In Acrobat, the rotation is only one single
command for a page range.

Best regards -

Tino H. Haida, Berlin

Fei Min Lorente:

Oh, I see the confusion. Okay, I have an 8.5 x 11 book, so all the pages are
the same size. For this appendix, the first couple of pages and the last page
are normal portrait. The tables in between these pages are rotated so that the
top is always at the left and the bottom is always at the right, but the header
and footer are still at the top and bottom edges (short sides of the page). The
master pages are applied by a structured master page map which triggers on an
attribute value.

If there is a quick, easily reversible way to rotate all the pages so I can
edit them, then rotate them all back, I'd be okay with that too. They are
contiguous. But I tried selecting all the pages and it only lets me highlight
one at a time. Maybe messing with the master page is the best option?

Fei Min