I upgraded to Framemaker 12 and tested it for XHTML and epub output for a
fairly complicated document that would choke Madcap Flare. It worked great.
Although the cost for upgrade is high, technical publishing software does not
have a huge user base and tends to be expensive. For instance, I owned Flare up
until last Fall and paid about a thousand dollars a year for the maintenance
contract. The software was buggy for tables, vector graphics, and sometimes
with simple imports. Webworks epublisher is expensive in its yearly contract.
So compared with other alternatives, Framemaker is not particularly expensive
and I have found it a lot more stable than the alternatives.