This is one of the many reasons that I use a Mac. I've got VMs (Fusion) of various versions of Windows so I can run older software on the OS it was intended to run on. I can upgrade my hardware and continue to keep XP, Win7, etc., around for the software that runs best on each platform. No painful migrations, no unexpected incompatibilities.

The problem comes when you expect old software to run on a new OS .. it's just doomed from the start. Yes. This setup costs a bit more, but in the long run it saves far more money (in time) than I spend in dollars.

Cheers,
...scott