I wanted to thank you again for the help with this. I was looking at a
nightmare, and it's now just a bad memory. :-)

While it already seems to be working fine, I wanted to double-check
something. The expressions are set up as you suggested, to NOT the
conditions I don't want visible in a particular book.

However, instead of setting a condition for each book being generated
(which would involve determining all of the different valid condition
combinations; admittedly a small task in this book), I am layering tags,
mostly because that's how I already have it set up and I really don't want
to figure out how to revise the tags and their application across 400+
pages in multiple document and book files. The other reason is that I
rarely know ahead of time how many books will be coming out of the same set
of documents. There's always a minimum of two (internal and external), but
I'll often have new IP being added on months after I've started the
project.

Your suggestion works just as well with layered conditions as it does with
a condition tag set up for the particular combination of circumstances.

I was wondering, though, if you or anyone else had a lot of experience
doing it this way and if there were a limit to the number of layers that
could be used. I have a maximum of two tags on any given piece of
information at the moment, but I'm also looking ahead to other books sets I
have that can generate up to 7 or 8 documents where a piece of information
can appear in 4 but not the other 3, and there's not a lot of consistency
to the combinations. In other words, I'd rather have 7 or 8 conditions to
work with than the 20 or more that would be needed to cover all the
combinations that have appeared as new books are sourced from the same set
of documents. And yes, they really DO share enough information that it's
far better to single source than it is to split into separate projects.

So will using your suggestion keep working when information has been tagged
with more than two conditions, and is there a hard limit to how many
conditions can be layered this way?

I swear, I have to read that chapter again. Maybe several more times. And
I'd still like to know why my original expressions crashed things.

Lin Sims