One of my engineers gave me a Word document that has an equation I need to
reproduce in Frame. One of the letters in that equation is a capital W with
what Word describes as a "hat". Essentially, it look like a left angle
bracket rotated 90 degrees to point up that has been placed over the W. It
is VERY visible.

Do you mean a "W" with a caret? If the equation would still be valid (that is, "W" is arbitrary, not denoting a specific entity that's normally denoted by "W"), FrameMaker has symbols for all the vowels-with-carets: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/10.0/Using/WSd817046a44e105e21e63e3d11ab7f7862b-7ff0.html.

I haven't yet found how to add the caret to non-vowels...

-Monique