The unicode code for combining (i.e. zero-width) circumflex is hex 0302, and it
should follow the character it appears above. If you don't have a unicode entry
method handy, using Frame's replace function - "W" with "W\u0302" - will get
you the code, BUT, you need the circumflex to be declared in a font that will
show the code (Times New Roman or Arial both work). You'll still need to do
some fussing with changing the spread of the W, and moving the mark vertically.

I set a lot of books with a lot of math, and rather than mess with FrameMaker's
editor, or continually potschke things together by hand, I rely on MathType,
which will produce any number of outputs, including EPS and bitmap formats. It
saves a lot of time because it's a superset of Word's equation editor, and
usually Word equations import seamlessly (or at least more reliably than much
else imports from Word). You can also specify something akin to named
stylesheets for font and positioning in equations (so you can have, say,
separate styles for text equations and table equations), and support for
micro-positioning is good. It also has support for TeX, which is another option
here, but setting that up and using it makes Frame's learning curve look like a
walk in the park.

Of course, using any auxiliary app will also gives you a bunch of graphics
files to keep track of, but if your math is at all complicated it's probably
worthwhile.

MathType for Windows costs around $100 and may be downloaded as a 30-day
unfettered demo from <http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/default.htm>.
It's also available in a strong Mac version, for those (like me) who prefer
running Frame using a VM.

Hope this helps.

Craig Johnson
Remex Publishing