Thanks Lin.

DITA-FMx can help you get FM files from DITA XML, although it's really intended as a replacement for the built-in DITA support in FM.

Bjørn .. when you say "convert and publish xml files into FM 12," what do you mean? Does your client want to convert the XML files into FM files and stop using the XML files as the source? Or do they want to use FM as the authoring tool for the XML files? (Or something else?)

In order to open/edit an XML file in FM you need a structured application designed specifically for the model in the XML files. If these XML files are a common standard (DITA, DocBook, ??), you can likely use one of the available structure applications to open those files. If not, then you'd first need to develop the structure application.

Once you have a structure application that lets you open the files, you can ..

- edit and save back to the original XML model (basically letting you edit the XML files in FM), - or you can save those files to an FM binary file (letting you author in the structured FM interface, but not using the XML files any more), - or you can take those structured FM files and strip the "structure" from them (resulting in unstructured FM files)

Depending on the end goal, those are the basic processes. So the first thing you want to do is to clarify the end goal, and to figure out what XML model is used by the files. If it's DITA (or DocBook), you're in good shape. If something else, you've got a bit of effort (or cost) involved to develop a structure application.

Here's the docs on structure application development (see the like-named section) ..

    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/framemaker.html

If you'd like someone to make the structure application for you, I'd be happy to help .. contact me off-list.

Cheers,
...scott