From: Framers [mailto:framers-bounces+rick=rickquatro....@lists.frameusers.com]
On Behalf Of Ken Poshedly
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 11:25 AM
To: Framers List
Subject: [Framers] FrameMaker 2015 compatability with earlier versions

The translation department at my company's home office in China is considering
to obtain FrameMaker 2015. That's the best wording I can use for this because
I'm sure all of us are aware of the hacking in that country, so I can't speak
for how they'll get the software. (My company is absolutely humongous in China
with offices worldwide, but operates as if the staff consists of only four or
five minimum-wage peons. Sort of how Scrooge treated Marley in The Christmas
Carol.)

My office is in metro Atlanta and we use "FrameMaker Version 11.0," with really
no problems — though I wish we didn't have to jump through hoops to archive
[book-build] a finished manual. (Even then, those archives have their own
problems with duplicates of some files in different folders.)

I already know that files created (or edited) in a newer version of Frame must
be deliberately saved to a lower version so they can be accessed by those with
the earlier Frame product.

Because of the multi-generational difference between FrameMaker 2015 and Frame
11, I'm concerned that the newer product will not save files to the earlier
level (FM11) that we here can use.

Are my concerns valid or is everything hunky-dory? And no, the Chinese
management at my office will definitely NOT (i.e., no way, nada, hell-no!,
etc.) upgrade my department of three American writers with the new product. The
Chinese business model (or at least the one my company follows) is to cut costs
but hope for increased sales. I'll be glad to discuss that issue off-list.

-- Ken in Atlanta