Never use Notepad !!

Its saves without BOM    see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

And that distroyes the file.

Use Notepad++ instead.

Am 17.11.2016 um 18:42 schrieb Jack DeLand:
I never trust Notepad. Notepad++ is a free programming editor, very nice.
You'll love it!

Jack DeLand
734 972 3026

On Nov 17, 2016, at 12:25 PM, Stamm, David <david.st...@gd-ms.com> wrote:

2016-11-17-04T17:25Z

Windows 7 Enterprise operating system

FrameMaker 2015 Release (13.0.5.547) installed on workstation

FrameMaker source and inset files are on a server on our local area network

==========

Help, please, even if only to tell me that I'm "holding my mouth wrong."

With [BookName].book open, on the menu bar, I choose File | Save Book As... >
MIF 2015 (.mif).  The program saves the .book file as [BookName].mif.

Through Windows Explorer, I open [BookName].mif with Notepad, delete various
and sundry cruft such bad color definitions, old character tags, and old
conditional text tags.

I save [BookName].mif and exit Notepad.

Through Windows Explorer, I try to open [BookName].mif with FrameMaker 2015, which
displays the "Unknown file type" window.

In the "Unknown file type" window, there are numerous types of file listed.
"MIF" is among the choices, but .fm is not.

When I choose "MIF" and the "Convert" button, the program complains that "The filter
encountered an error and could not complete the translation."

¿Am I the only one who has experienced this?

Thanks,
Dave Stamm
Information Engineer.

Klaus Göbel