From: Bertrand Meyer [mailto:bertrand.me...@inf.ethz.ch]
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 9:25 AM
To: 'Rick Quatro'; 'An email list for people using Adobe FrameMaker
software.'
Cc: me...@inf.ethz.ch
Subject: RE: [Framers] Frame 15 UI annoyances

Simple. My license is purchased. With Adobe's licensing scheme, I am
concerned that if for example my computer dies I could lose access to
FrameMaker 2015 any time and hence lose access to my documents. My
experience of dealing with Adobe is not good (euphemism) and I fear it could
take weeks to get the license back, if at all. I have licenses for earlier
versions on various platforms and with a MIF 7.0 I can in an emergency get
access to my documents.

By the way, going to an incompatible version of MIF was a betrayal of the
FrameMaker tradition. It had always been the case that in processing MIF
files the tool took a hands-off approach to MIF, in the spirit of XML: new
versions could add all the new features they wanted, but when retrieving a
document FrameMaker would ignore anything it did not understand, so that as
long as you did not use the new features you were safe and could go back to
an old version. That is the idea behind MIF: "I" stands for Interchange.

For the record I have been using FrameMaker since 1991  and have written
something like 12 books and dozens of articles with it. I cannot afford to
lose them.

-- Bertrand Meyer