From: Framers [mailto:framers-bounces+rick=rickquatro....@lists.frameusers.com]
On Behalf Of Tori Muir
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 3:15 PM
To: framers@lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Re: [Framers] FrameMaker vs InDesign

Regrettably, that isn't necessarily true. A lot of the folks who use InD are
first and foremost *designers*, and have no qualms about hand-formatting
everything on the page to produce a lovely composition. It can be very
difficult to get users with that mindset to switch to a
structure-based/formats-driven viewpoint. Additionally, a huge number of the
InD users I've worked with/trained in long document work can't even set up an
auto-bulleted paragraph, let alone autonumbering, and I shudder to think what
would happen if they tried indexing.

I would qualify the below statement by saying that if they are already using
InD the way one needs to use Frame, you'll have no problem training them. If,
on the other hand, their preferred approach is to use InD the way one might use
Illustrator, you're in for a rough ride. I'll never forget the time a client
had me update the InD files for their product catalog: 235 pages containing
~800 products, a TOC and an  index, without a single paragraph/character format
defined, no generated TOC or index, no book files, not even auto-connected text
flows from page to page. The most advanced thing they'd done was add a page
number to the master page.  But the catalog *looked* lovely!

Tori Muir