This might be the reason we stopped actually doing index entries and have been quietly deleting index files from our books (I have a former co worker from another company who is in horror over this idea). Use the search, people.

Well, sure. If I know the exact word to look for, ^F will find it. But what if it's concept that might be described multiple ways? Or something that I don't necessarily know I need but that jumps out when I scan the index? For a nice explanation of why an index is important, I recommend this from the American Society for Indexing website: https://www.asindexing.org/about-indexing/frequently-asked-questions/#FAQ1006.

I certainly understand why we tech writers so rarely create indexes these days, but that doesn't mean it's the ideal situation. And most certainly ^F searching is an inadequate substitute for a good human-generated index.

-Monique