Hi, Tammy and all Framers:

couple of responses from alleged Adobe folks, both private and public.

One in particular seemed to make the best and clearest statement of the
problem. It was so innocent and naïve I won't repeat it here, because I
think would embarrass the sender. It said something like, IIRC, "please
tell me the whole problem and I'll do my best to fix it."

Well, IMO, the problem is that FrameMaker's been a neglected product line
for decades, as Adobe's corporate growth and profitability dwarfed little
FM's niche-ness. Hey, it's a fabulous tool – a foundational component of
the technical information and publishing industry that underlies most of
the major companies and technologies that the current global commerce world
relies upon. It's been a key player to the development of the information
age's infrastructure. But, like water to fish, it's so ubiquitous, it's
invisible.

The problem with Adobe's treatment of FM is basically that it's been kicked
down the road each time a new shiny tool or market takes the attention of
whoever is put in charge of this dependable runt of the product and service
litter. That's how corporate management works. So, over the years and
changes in development, marketing, and other strategic directions,
different teams have inherited the task of keeping FM viable at minimal
cost and impact to the larger corporate evolution.

Now that some viable competitive tools have evolved, perhaps FM's future is
even bleaker. That it's survived for so long is as much a testimony to the
industries, companies, and users who've employed it for its core purpose -
capturing, organizing, repurposing, and distributing the technical
information that dedicated technical writers have distilled from masses of
data, research, and hands-on trial-and-error experience with products, into
useful information for those who make things work for the benefit of others.

So, each time an Adobe team hands FrameMaker of to a new group that's
"tasked" (I hate that term,) with improving, fixing, maintaining, evolving
it, the continuity is broken, some history is lost, and folks on the new
team need to start over. Tech writers used to describe their job as
"changing tires on a moving car." The new teams and their members are in
the same situation.

The two main problem areas that have resulted from this flawed approach are:

* technical - keeping the product working and fixing new bugs that arise
when developing new product features, and from failed fixes of old ones.

* support and licensing - helping users get the result that the product is
intended to provide, and keeping their purchase history intact and valid.

Technical stuff can usually be attended to by skilled support techs. Some
problems require exceptionally well-skilled techs, with the dedication to
stay with a customer until an issue is solved.

Licensing is a separate domain. From a corporate view, it's more about
maximizing revenue.

So the responses that Tammy's documenting here really point to how
corporate revenue management is being done, and the wall that's blocking
any recognition of what a customer deserves after paying a company for a
product, license, service, and value.

My professional life has changed, so I don't actually use FM any more. If I
had to deal with this problem, however, I'd try to get it fixed by
escalating it. However, I don't mean the usual escalation to a higher-level
tech-support tier, or a higher-level customer-service manager, because it's
become clear that folks at these levels aren't able to break through the
policy walls that they quote as reasons for denying access to
previously-purchased licenses. I'd suggest trying to disrupt the
ineffective incremental up-a-level-at-a-time escalation method, and instead
starting at the very top - the CEO. Perhaps start a write-in campaign site,
collect signatures, and keep up the pressure. People at the top are not
stupid. They get it when plenty of major corporate users who represent
plenty of licenses in major corporate enterprise customer companies and
partners. After all, while FM itself might not be a big Adobe revenue
chunk, large corporate software, cloud, and service customers are Adobe's
bread and butter.

Often folks on this list cite the problem of getting buy-in from their own
PTB (Powers That Be) to get approval to buy a product, subscription, or
service, that can make them more productive. It's often seen that this is a
competitive struggle within one's organization. Well, look at this Adobe
licensing stymie as an opportunity to enlist your own corporate PTB
coooperate with you to advocate the need to have Adobe honor its
commitment. You know, CEO-to-CEO level, a corporate summit, you might call
it.

Hey, it could happen!

Just a thought...