Caroline, consider purchasing the very inexpensive TableCleaner plug-in that Rick Quatro built to strip out all of the Word formatting on tables and applying the defined table styles. It won't help with shading, but it will certainly make it far easier to predictably apply formatting to the table.

You can get the plug-in here: http://www.frameexpert.com/store/index.html. I am not affiliated in any way; I'm just a very grateful user.

Carol