Thanks for that, Rick.

I suppose that could work. I think it means I would need to create new para
formats for each description element to house the 'numbering' text (the
headings are short, such as "Description:", Settings:" etc.). This seems about
as effective as using an inline text insert and text range formatting. Either
of the two can almost accomplish what I want, which is a side-head alignment
effect using RunInHeading, right justified, and the indented body is left
justified with a large left margin.

With inline text (or numbering?), I thought I could use a tab with decimal (:)
alignment and mimic the side-head effect, but that did not format as desired so
I used a tab and first/second indents. I also use ePublisher  to produce HTML
and tabs get replaced with spaces, so there is no alignment there. Maybe I
don't know enough about ePublisher to fix that?

I'm not sure if it would be better to ask the engineers to add the heading text
in a generic subhead element, a unique element for each heading text, or to
make the description element just a container by wrapping the text range in a
generic para element.

What would any of you do?

Thanks
C2