I concur w/Scott, that XML whitespace handling is trickier than one might expect, and that the FrameMaker behavior is as expected for an XML-processing application.

There's also a maker.ini setting that may achieve what you wish. RemoveExtraWhiteSpacesOnXMLImport=FALSE.

However, this global setting may trigger unexpected whitespace handling for other elements.

In XSLT workflows, there's also <xsl:preserve-space /> and <xsl:strip-space /> to modify default whitespace handling, settable on a per-element basis.

HTH!

-Alan