If it's as it always has been, if your new license is NOT an upgrade, you
can run it and the old license.

If your new license is an UPGRADE based on your previous software, then the
legalese says you can't run both.

However, in practice, both should install and run fine as far as I know.
The only concern for me would be Acrobat and Distiller versions, because
Acrobat and it's bits have always seemed rather wobbly to me.

Cheers,

Sean