I've used the Character Tools and Paragraph Tools utilities from
   Silicon Prairie Software,
   [1]https://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com/Products.html.
   And although you didn't ask about variables, I've always found that if
   I'm managing character and paragraph formats, I always need to manage
   variables, too. And for that, I highly recommend the BookVars plugin
   from Leximation: [2]https://leximation.com/tools/info/bookvars.php.
   -Monique