Hi, Framers,
Apologies for a somewhat long post, but I would really like some input. We are
contemplating finally upgrading from our Frame 7.1 (yep, had it for 17 years)
to the newest version (Frame 2019). Our version of Frame has been ridiculously
stable and its amazing features have served our purposes without having to
upgrade over the years. We upgraded our computers to Windows 10 last year, but
the 32-bit Frame has worked in that system so far. We do get messages about
fonts changing when we change print driver to Adobe for making PDFs, but it
hasn't had any ill effects for us. Some background:
We do legal books in Frame that use the generated files feature for summary and
tables of contents, tables of cases, tables of statutes, and subject matter
indexes. Most of our books have extensive footnotes (lawyers love to include
footnotes that go on for 7/8ths of a page). We make PDFs of the books as well
as send MIF files to a conversion company for EPUBs. We use unstructured Frame
and don't need structure for anything. We don't use conditional text for
anything. Recently, I had an incidence of Frame files in a book I was working
on get corrupted where paragraphs had been bizarrely messed up and lost the
work I had done on the files in the last week or so. Another coworker had saved
a Frame file to RTF and later couldn't open the Frame file again because it
said it didn't recognize the file format. This is leading us to believe that
maybe it is finally time for us to bite the bullet and upgrade to be compatible
with all the other software out there now. So, some specific questio
 ns (keeping in mind the unstructured environment):
1. I was going to ask if Frame 2019 allows the old Escape key sequences of
Esc-jj and Esc-cc to work, because I saw on the list that they broke those
functions in the later versions-but I see from the Frame 2019 manual online
that they have restored those functions in 2019. So this functionality works
well now?
2. Is Frame ever going to fix the footnotes problem? I've replied to Adobe's
feature requests over the years, and they still don't have a fix.
3. Is Frame 2019 stable as far as people using it now can tell? (I've seen some
posts here about problems creating PDFs and other things that shouldn't be
happening with recent versions of Frame.)
4. There was a small problem with Frame 7.1's ability to use the scroll wheel
that needed a special mouse driver that we had to use and we had to reinstall
it when we went to Windows 10, but once the driver was in place, it was fixed.
I'm assuming Frame 2019 doesn't have any issues like this anymore, right?
5. Another minor problem with our Frame is a glitch where if you hold down the
mouse a little too long when selecting something, Frame will crash. Has anyone
had this happen with the latest version?
6. Is IXGEN available for the latest Frame?
7. Is Frame to RTF conversion good? We save Frame files to RTF to send to
authors for updating their chapters. (People would always need an explanation
of why we used the RTF Japanese for the setting.)
8. How do you open old Frame 7 files if you have Frame 2019? The online manual
for 2019 says you have to open Frame 7 files as MIF. But in order to change
them to MIF, don't you have to convert them from within Frame 7? Can you choose
to open them as MIF from 2019 itself? And what about the .book file? Is that
preserved if you open all its enclosed files in MIF, or is it an option to save
a whole old book as MIF so that generated files are also converted? Would we
have to convert all our Frame 7 books to MIF before installing Frame 2019 (or
can you have both versions of Frame installed on your computer at the same
time?)? And do you have to replace fonts for Unicode ones?
9. Now that Frame has EPUB format as an output, is it good? Is the unstructured
version capable of it? Does it involve cleanup to make the EPUB presentable?
Are all the links in the Frame file preserved in the EPUB?
10. Finally, what do people think of the subscription model versus buying an
outright license (if Adobe even still lets people buy a "forever" license)? I
think I remember seeing some panicked user on the list mentioning something
about Adobe screwing up their subscription and them not having their Frame
functionable anymore.
11. And another finally, seeing some recent posts about problems someone had
with the trial version, is there any advice about that?

I am on the digest, so if anyone replies, could you please reply to me directly
as well as the list? Thanks for any advice you can give.

[Pennsylvania Bar Institute]<http://www.pbi.org>

Wendy McGovern
Publications Editor
Pennsylvania Bar Institute
5080 Ritter Rd, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
(E) wmcgov...@pbi.org<mailto:wmcgov...@pbi.org>  (P) 717-620-6257
(P) 800-932-4637, ext. 6257  (F) 717-796-2348
www.pbi.org<http://www.pbi.org>