You're missing the InDesign property that aligns a stroke's weight from its
center, or inside/outside, if it is a shape's border. Probably other
graphic applications have the same abilities.

Keep in mind that FM evolved around the time when the use of thin lead
strips to separate lines of metal type was becoming historic. Consider your
discovery like a fossil record.