Phillip Norman wrote:

> I address this conversation with wish the simple nearly-free tools I use,
> should be packaged for a large new set of users, for purchase at very small
> cost. If Adobe isn't interested, look for other possibilities.

Indeed!

I still receive this list because I am (a) a relatively early FrameMaker user -
started in 1988 on a Sun 3/50, so nostalgia applies to me, and (b) still
occasionally fire up version FM 12 to make *small* changes to existing older FM
documents.

Otherwise, due to the high cost of "upgrading" FM decision by Adobe form FM 15
onwards, I moved away from their tools some time back.

Now, the last one is Acrobat Pro and I am trying other PDF tools to evaluate
them as functional replacements - so far, the SoftMaker PDF tool appears to be
working pretty well for my needs.

My choices - and this will NOT necessarily be applicable to others for their
documents, of course! - was to switch to LaTeX markup for all *my*
specification documents (using a very nice editor for relatively instant and
easy check of the PDF output), and various Magix/Xara tools for image editing,
video editing, and brochures. The Magix/Xara tools are not free, but very
low-cost, and much less expensive than Adobe ... including upgrades.

I am happy with those decisions ... indeed, the experience has made me look for
other lower-cost products too. So, I am also evaluating SoftMaker Office as an
alternative to Microsoft tools that I still use (for presentation and
spreadsheets for example).