Maybe this is clear to some people, but I thought I might clarify this since I just figured it out myself.

Alt+#### works for Unicode fonts as well, but only for the first 255 characters of the font. ANSI fonts are 8-bit fonts, which only have 255 characters. Unicode fonts have a very large number of characters, but you can still use Alt+#### for the first 255 characters of the Unicode font. In the Windows Character Map, if you select the Advanced view checkbox, it shows whether the font is Unicode or another font type. For Unicode fonts, it still shows the Alt keystroke at the bottom-right for characters in the 255 range. Strangely enough, the Windows Character Map doesn't show *all* the Alt keystrokes within in the 255 range, even though they seem to all work.

So as Janet said, in the Windings2 font, ALT-0080 gives you a checkmark.

--
Shmuel Wolfson
Technical Writer