On Tue, Aug 25, 2020, 12:53 PM Lin Sims <ljsims...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, and while I have no idea if there is a freeware equivalent to InDesign,

A few freeware-alikes are briefly listed here:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/free-adobe-indesign-alternatives/

Not free, Affinity has a collection of design, graphics, and publishing
tools.

GIMP is freeware and does everything Photoshop does.

Probably more than most folks need for image transmogrifying, close, but
not everything.

IMO, the Adobe photo plan $10/ subscription for both Lightroom (including
mobile, for editing photos on phones,) and Photoshop, is worth the price if
you edit only one important photo a month. If you're in business, a
negligible expense.

InDesign's long-document and book authoring, editing, and publishing tools
caught up to FrameMaker a few years ago. There are some inexpensive
third-party tools, like smart language-aware, and page-aware,
cross-references ("on opposite/previous page,") and MIF import. But if
you're bound to DITA, sorry.

> hate that the CC apps all have this shades of grey interface, it is very
> difficult to pick out the icon you need.

Could this be a clever distraction to conceal the many neglected
long-standing bugs and enhancement requests? :)