A question about an image technique that I've never been able to master but it
seems everybody else has -- dropping out a white background. I've been assigned
with producing a company newsletter formerly done in Word. And though I do use
Word when I have to, I'm 22 years into FrameMaker and -- other than this --
it's usually so damn easy to do these things in Frame.

The original newsletter (in Word) has a colorful banner with lettering across
top of the first page. I can copy the main graphic element (a stylized color
bar with a curved lower edge, similar to the Nike "swoosh") from the Word file
and paste it onto the top of page 1 of the new Frame file, but I need to delete
a white area from the lower portion of that graphic (easier shown than
described; contact me off-list and we can do a share-screen Zoom thing so I can
show you what I mean).

I used Adobe Photoshop CS4 to "apparently" successfully delete that white
portion from that jpg file; the formerly white area of the original image is
now the familiar grey checkerboard. I saved that modified image as a psd file.

But when I imported the new (psd) image to partly overlay another graphic
element on the first page of the FrameMaker 10 version of the newsletter, the
imported graphic still has that white area which overlays the other graphic
element. Which is what I don't want.

What didn't I do or what am I doing wrong? Whatever was done in Word should
more easily be done in Frame, or so I thought.

Help please?
-- Ken in Atlanta