Hi,

I have a legacy version of Framemaker (v5) and a collection of .fm files that I
am trying to edit.
One of the edits tries to add a .jpeg image to a file. To do this, I create and
select an empty
Graphics frame. I then click on File -> Import -> File... I then navigate to
the .jpeg file and
click on Import.

When I do this, I see the message:

        The filter encountered an error and could not compete the translation

which, I don't understand.

Although I have been able to import many such images in the past, doing this no
longer works
for me. I have tried different images and different image formats, all with the
same result. I have
searched online for interpretations of this message, to no avail. I have even
tried completely
reinstalling Framemaker. Nothing I do changes the outcome.

Can anyone provide an interpretation for this message? Can anyone suggest a
workaround?

Of course, one possibility would be to buy a more recent version of Framemaker.
But before
I do this, I want to better understand the problem, so I can have some
confidence that the
new version would fix it. Also, if I do this, can I expect that .fm or .mif
files created in v5 would
work on the most recent version?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.