From: Framers
<framers-bounces+tom.beiswenger=emhartglass....@lists.frameusers.com> On Behalf
Of Tammy Van Boening
Sent: Thursday, April 6, 2023 9:40 AM
To: An email list for people using Adobe FrameMaker software.
<framers@lists.frameusers.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Framers] Adobe removes functionality from a perpetual
license? Adobe response???

Warning: LONG POST!!!

I have Framemaker 2019 (the last version for which a perpetual license was
sold) and Adobe Acrobat Pro XI (a perpetual license) and have successfully used
this combination for years to create Reader-Extended PDFs that my users can
comment on for editing purposes. As old as Acrobat Pro is, I have NOT needed to
upgrade to any version as I use only this basic function in it. Yesterday, out
of the blue, after creating a Reader-Extended PDF that was enabled for
commenting and measuring, I received the following Error message: You do not
have permission to write to this file.  To say that I was stumped was an
understatement. I am an independent contractor and therefore, the account that
I use for my business systems is my Administrator account - full privileges to
do anything and everything that I need/want to do - and I couldn't fathom why I
was getting this message/ how it was being generated.  I thought that perhaps
at first it had to with a hiccup caused by a recent Windows update. (If
  you recall, a Windows update a few years back torpedoed the Adobe PDF engine
and users were unable to generate PDFs from Framemaker, Word, etc.)

I reached out to Rick Quatro for assistance as it was related to PDF generation
and after a bit of sleuthing on his part, he came across this post from Adobe
(just put an https:// in front of this):
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__helpx.adobe.com_ca_acrobat_kb_reader-2Dextended-2Dpdfs-2Dand-2Dadobe-2Droot-2Dca-2Dexpiry.html&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=N7xZ2SjYf4AG7gXHAF6jlfTdRjjovWu49q-x9Y15iRI&s=qNGFBsODVSEOEeb7vpDa5z_nT0lAFRxUb-s_HWJCjfE&e=.

In a nutshell, this post states that Adobe is removing functionality from its
Acrobat products, including those that had a perpetual license and the ONLY
option that a user has who owns an Acrobat version older than 2017 is to
upgrade to the latest version. (Users w/ versions 2017 and older have the
option to download updates to resolve this issue.)  I won't get into the
details of the visceral response that this elicited in me, but has anyone EVER
had an issue with any other vendor besides Adobe removing functionality from an
application for which you purchased a perpetual license? I am not referring to
support - I totally understand why a vendor no longer provides updates/supports
for older versions of SW, but removing functionality to force you to upgrade?
This does not remotely strike me as ethical, let alone, can it be legal? The
real icing on the cake is that without a formal warning/announcement sent to
the affected users, how would you even know that this would be an issue? R
   ealistically, would a user of a perpetual license go to the vendor's website
to look specifically for an announcement because you just were wondering if you
were going to lose functionality in your application?

Adobe keeps putting nail after nail into the coffins of some of its most loyal
users (I have been a Framemaker user since 1996) and it's for reasons such as
this that I have recommended MadCap Flare or other vendor products for my most
recent client projects.

Does anybody from Adobe care to comment about this? As an IC that is
semi-retired and that is on a tight budget, having to upgrade to a subscription
license just to get the most basic of functionality that I thought that I
should always have because I purchased a PERPETUAL license is unfathomable to
me and not remotely financially feasible and several other users w/ whom I have
spoken.

Thanks!

TVB

Tammy Van Boening
Tammy dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spectrumwritingllc.com&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=N7xZ2SjYf4AG7gXHAF6jlfTdRjjovWu49q-x9Y15iRI&s=bA9fr6-8BiVW22PiQDIIXHvoZB5XRr1v_FZWBovhojo&e=

Send messages to framers@lists.frameusers.com Visit the list's homepage at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.frameusers.com&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=N7xZ2SjYf4AG7gXHAF6jlfTdRjjovWu49q-x9Y15iRI&s=f6a84EJOE7kUdvUgTztHx_b0F8pbx9twBsrOZnCaoNc&e=
Archives located at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mail-2Darchive.com_framers-2540lists.frameusers.com_&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=N7xZ2SjYf4AG7gXHAF6jlfTdRjjovWu49q-x9Y15iRI&s=e6h5RY-n8D4nezB07L5PEYvYSwNchzdnzRKr0fK65wo&e=
Subscribe and unsubscribe at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.frameusers.com_listinfo.cgi_framers-2Dframeusers.com&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=N7xZ2SjYf4AG7gXHAF6jlfTdRjjovWu49q-x9Y15iRI&s=r4-dXQO48ESrFX1uu2d8Kn1-ujfPYA9Di-Ad9qWw9X0&e=