On Dec 10, 2005, at 12:42 AM, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:04:48 -0800, Rob Miller wrote:
question, what does (PLIP #102: PlonePAS) mean for CMFMember?

CMFMember will not work w/ PlonePAS, at all. chances are that it never will. my current thought is to write a new product, based on Membrane, that will replace CMFMember, providing a (hopefully ContentSetup- based) migration path forward. i'm hoping to start working on this at the snow
sprint.
I think it does (matter). there are quite a few folks out there using
CMFMember, and this is going to be a show-stopper for all of them.  i
think scrapping it and building a new product is the way to go, and i
don't expect it to be terribly hard, but i'm not going to be able to do
it alone.  RockyBurt and SashaV have already said they want to help,
it'd be great if we could get a few more hands.

Would it help to create a fundable.org project to facilitate time or
travel for the people with the skill to solve this problem?

certainly sponsorship helps, although at this point it's more an issue of time than money, for me.

I have an interest in seeing a CMFMember workalike built on top of
Membrane/Memblets ASAP, hopefully ready for testing near the time
Plone-2.5 moves to beta.

this may be a bit ambitious, unless someone else picks this up and starts running with it. i agree that we should get there as quickly as possible, though.

I don't personally have any CMFMember
deployments, but I agree that migration will be an imperative for many.

_all_ of my deployments are CMFMember deployments, so you can rest assured i'll be spending some time on this. ;-).

I also favor cooperation between two intriguing PlonePAS type- membership projects. Hopefully Helge and Jens et al. would be willing to converge to a single product supporting both facets of PlonePAS integration, perhaps
PLIP-tracked for Plone-3.0.

  http://svn.bluedynamics.net/svn/public/Memblets/trunk
  http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/Membrane/trunk

i find it annoying that we have yet another instance of duplication of efforts. i'll be basing my work on Membrane.

I'd like to contribute a modest sum toward a collectively funded effort,
if others are interested in same.

:-).

-r