whit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > A while ago, I started this reference manual
> > http://plone.org/documentation/manual/plone-developer-reference
> >
> w00t!  I'm not sure alan got your reference into the appropriate place,
> but the intention was to put this and similar info into
> plone.org/developers .   And all of you should have access to extend and
> edit this section of the website.

Indeed. That said, I think people naturally look for documentation in
plone.org/documentation, and I think non-core developers would benefit from
peaking in on how we do things. That's why I think the more documentation
oriented (as opposed to overview-oriented) material belongs in /documentation
instead of /development, with links going back and forth, of course.

> > The intention was to make a single places for Plone core developers to
> > find the information they need on how to contribute, and how they
> > should be coding. The idea was to cover three things:
> >
> >  1. How do I contribute to Plone? How do I write a PLIP, make a review
> > bundle, get access to svn etc.
> >
> >  2. How do I write Plone code? Things like unit testing, migrations,
> > coding style etc.
> this will be very important in the near term, since best practices of
> the last 2 + years are going to be changing a bit.

Yeah, that was kind of my plan too :)

> If you guys are up to it, it's a definite need.  I would encourage you
> to also look at the process and technology you are documenting and think
> "If I was a new developer, would this seem sensible and easy, or
> overwhelming?"   The answer to that question might be the ground for new
> PLIPs (for instance, BrowserDefault and EIOW could both benefit from
> using the CA rather than their old school component approach).

Good point!

Martin