On Apr 7, 2006, at 8:54 PM, whit wrote:
Martin Aspeli wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about several things I'd like to enable in Plone 3.0, and the concept of using viewlets is really attractive. For example, the contentmenu (the green one, with actions and state and add item): It's impossible to add a new drop-down without overriding the entire thing. In general, this could be solved by having the whole menu be rendered as a viewlet manager, with each menu provided by a viewlet. You could then register new viewlets to get new menus.

I've only read through the READMEs of zope.contentprovider (http:// svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/contentprovider/README.txt? rev=66018&view=markup) and zope.viewlet (http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/ trunk/src/zope/viewlet/README.txt?rev=41173&view=auto), and probably should do so again.

I wanted to ask, though, if any of you have got some experience with viewlets and would like to discuss it further? In particular, we need to work out whether we could:

- use them in 3.0 directly (unlikely, since it requires a provides: TAL namespace, which probably requires the Zope 3.x TAL implementation that may or may not land in Zope 2.10)
+1. this is the right thing to do. it might require more work but until it's been tried and tracer bullets have been fired, everything else is a premature hack. I realize this isn't much of a way to start discussion, but personally I think investigation is more important at this point.

philikon said he would add it in in Five 1.5 if someone did the work. maybe by plone 3 we can actually release on the current version of Zope, and I believe that the zope3 tal engine will be in 2.10.

Plone 2.5 will support the most current version of Zope, unless there's been a 2.10 release that i missed somewhere.

i'm +1 on using viewlets for this, but i don't think we'll be able to do it by relying on the zope 3 TAL implementation. especially not if we're going to continue our current policy of supporting two major Zope revisions, in which case we'll have to straddle 2.9 and 2.10 w/ 3.0.

-r