On Thu, 11 May 2006 00:29:17 +0100, Alec Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Alec,

I agree completely with everything you're saying. However, I'd add ...

We all agree that there are a lot of great thing we should do, and
need to do in the long and short term.  But your job as the framework
team is to make a realistic assessment of what we can actually get
done in a 6 month time frame given the available resources.  What
Alfresco is doing and what customers are looking for in a CMS is at
most a peripheral consideration for you guys, and should rarely be a
factor in any FT decision (the only cases where it would be are when
there are two proposals of equal viability that are competing for the
same developer resources).

... that the contributors who need encouragement look to some sort of leadership. That normally falls to limi, but I think that by virtue of the importance that the community has bestowed upon the framework team, we can't be ignorant that people expect us to play a certain role. That is, we may decide our role is purely technical, but so long as the rest of the community don't see it that way, this is just wishful thinking.

I think it very much is the role of the framework team, the release manager, and of all the core, senior or long-standing contributors, to cheerlead, to suggest, to communicate loudly that we really *want* this and that it *must* be done before such-and-such a date. It's a fallacy to believe we can be totally objective, because we also put our blood, sweat and tears into the software, we also depend on it for our jobs, and we also have a vision of what we think Plone should be.

It's naive to think either that contributors will manage to align themselves without a lot of explicit cheerleading, suggestion or creation of a shared sense or purpose and urgency, or that they won't expect the team that are tasked with the final decision on what goes in and out (by which I mean the framework team and the release managager) to actively participate in that process. There's also an unfortunate expectation that limi will do all this - he's not capable of that, neither for the time it takes, nor for his understanding of every technical detail in every area.

Whether it's wearing the framework team hat or not at any given point in time is moot. This list may be semi-private, but when people see posts about good or bad ideas from you, as release manager, or me, the spokesperson[1], or Hanno, Raphael, Helge, Vincenzo, Wichert or Rocky, they'll listen. And I, for one, also expect and want to see posts telling me that now would be a good time to get myself in gear, or else it'll be too late, and that this is important and we need to call for more volunteers.

We have a responsibility to communicate outwardly as well as among ourselves, because we are given the task of making real decisions that will affect Plone profoundly at the turn of each release. At least I think we should have. :)

Martin

[1] I've already had to dispel the idea that I somehow have more decision-making power than anyone else on the team once or twice in posts on the list, which is unfortunate.

--
"You can just adapt yourself out of it..." // Archipelago sprint 26/04/2006