On 9/12/06, Alexander Limi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:34:33 -0700, Alec Mitchell
<apm13-WLbs8XpHrcb2fBVCVOL8/[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We need to make sure that it can be easily disabled in case the
> performance overhead of using Sessions is too much for some
> applications.

Does anyone have any idea what approach people like Google (Gmail etc) use
for their implementation? It certainly seems like the most sensible
implementation out there wrt. to end-user usability - and I'm pretty sure
it scales too.

Is the session overhead a Zope-specific problem because of the
implementation there, or is it something with using this approach
inherently?

Zope sessions are notoriously and, many think, unnecessarily heavy.
Though any session setup that is ZEO-compatible is going to be even
heavier.  One can use pound which ties a session to to a particular
ZEO client in order to avoid the extra overhead, but Zope sessions are
still relatively heavy AFAIK.

Alec