Alexander Limi wrote:
It seems the portlets stuff is what is making it slower (more about that below), along with globalize.

So for logged-in, "globalize" and the versioning stuff seems to be the two biggest offenders by an order of magnitude, and seem to both take about the same amount of time.

I wish we could come up with a way to to get rid of the globalize stuff sanely. It's an instane overkill to compute this magnitude of values for each template, just because a few templates simply "expect" stuff to be available. Not to mention that it encourages bad coding practices for template authors.

The implementation of globalize is also insane, as it monkeys variables into Python stack frames, an approach that depends on the actual variable names of code in Zope.

To be honest, I'm not too content with the @@plone view either, but at least it provides a saner approach: a definite Python API that can be used from ZPT, explicitly (instead of implicitly expecting global stuff).

How do we stop making templates expect global variables? This isn't so much a problem in Plone itself as it is for add-on products...