Hi,

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've spent the past two days piecing together RedirectionTool and Whit's
> topp.rose product into something that meets the second half of PLIP125.

Yeah, you rock as you always do!

> The first half is what Andreas is working on - warning when you're about
> to delete things that will break links. The second half is about
> offering automatic redirects or, if not possible, useful guesses instead
> of a dumb 404 page when an object has been moved or renamed.
>
> For the record, I love this functionality :)

While I like this too, I'm a bit concerned about the performance
penalty. Is there an easy way to turn this behavior off? Like a switch
in some control panel?

> I'd like to merge this now, unless people have objections. There's no
> bundle, but the code is here:
>
> http://dev.plone.org/plone/browser/plone.app.redirector/trunk
> http://dev.plone.org/plone/browser/CMFPlone/branches/plip125-redirector

The only thing that seems a bit dubious to me is the IGNORE_IDS constant
in browser.py. I think this is a policy decision that should be easier
to customize. The simplest solution here would be to turn this into a
simple global utility with just one method that would return this list.
This way people who really wanted to customize it could add their own
local utility to return something different (for instance ignore all
aliases registered on any content type + all dynamic view templates + ...).

> Also, unlike RedirectionTool, there is no form for making your own
> redirects (mainly because there's no good selection widget for me to
> use). This would work just fine (add things to the IRedirectionStorage
> utility), but since we have automatic redirects for anything moved or
> renamed, I think it's much less useful... in any case, it can be added
> later.

Is there any way to clean up some old redirects, like a 'delete all
redirects' option somewhere? I imagine that people might need this after
a while.

> I'd like to merge before trunk moves too far away from my branch. :)

+1 in general

Hanno