Hi!

We recently removed the base tag from the main_template. This was done to fix a bug with selecting text in IE [1] and to prevent a reload on links to anchor tags. Now we found more and more problems with relative links. The most glaring examples are the links to site setup and other stuff on the front page of a newly created plone site when used on localhost. A proposed solution is to append a slash on the URLs of all folderish content and rewriting relative URLs to absolute ones on render. This would introduce quite a lot of code though. So we have to decide whether we want to fix this, or revert the change and have the base tag back.

My vote is to revert for Plone 3.0 and try to fix it properly in Plone 3.5.

https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/6236

Regards,
Florian Schulze

[1] http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200608/base_elements_cause_text_selection_problems_in_ie/