On 3/10/07, Martin Aspeli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Geir Bækholt · Plone Solutions wrote:
> On 9. mar. 2007, at 17.22, Laurence Rowe wrote:
>
>>> I would vote for keeping the base tag anyway, as it would make the
>>> site not break if someone makes a wrong link somewhere.
>>> Another possibility to help this would be to make all folderish
>>> content redirect to get the trailing slash, like Apache does.
>> +1 on redirecting
>>
>> Historically the Zope mantra has been to return data rather than
>> redirect to save the overhead of processing an extra request. Plone
>> is a complex application and I suspect this overhead is negligible
>> compared to rendering a page. Matching Apache's behaviour would
>> make things conceptually simpler.

Also squid/varnish should be able to cache permanent redirects for all
users.  We just need to make sure we don't render the full page and
then redirect, which I don't think we're too careful about presently.
The redirect should also set a variable which causes the rest of the
template to stop rendering if possible.

Alec