David Glick wrote:

I'd like to propose PLIP #240 for inclusion in Plone 3.3:

http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/240

This PLIP is intended to provide several avenues toward addressing the problem of content accidentally getting left in a locked state.
+1 for this, although:

"David Glick is willing to serve in an advisory role to whoever is willing to implement this."

I suspect this means that it won't get implemented. :)

I think you need to find someone who's willing to commit to delivering it, or it won't happen.

I suppose I should clarify. I'm willing to commit to implementing this if it's just a matter of changing the default timeout and adding some KSS to keep the lock in place while an item's being edited. In an effort to avoid overextending myself, I'm not able to commit to creating a new locking configlet (though based on Sidnei's comment about the PloneLockManager product, which I was unaware of, that may be less important).

I don't recall why it never made it into the release
but when Jeff and I started the locking integration
at the Archipelago sprint a few years ago we did
consider it and created

https://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/LockManager/branches/plip_145_TTWLocking/

There shouldn't be much missing I hope.

Just so this won't get forgotten ...

Raphael

In either case, I'd be glad to hear discussion regarding the best approach to providing a useful locking system without leaving locks in place accidentally or otherwise getting in the way.

David Glick
Web Developer
ONE/Northwest

New tools and strategies for engaging people in protecting the environment

http://www.onenw.org
work: (206) 286-1235 x32
mobile: (206) 679-3833

Subscribe to ONEList, our email newsletter!
Practical advice for effective online engagement
http://www.onenw.org/full_signup