Wichert Akkerman wrote:

First: remove the Display menu and add a field to the settings tab of
the edit form where it belongs.

-1 for 3.x.

 - This breaks existing documentation and expectations.

- The display menu is not specific to Archetypes or any particular content type implementation. We shouldn't tie this to AT (or any other content type framework).

I think we should revisit this for 4.x, though. I agree that it belongs on the edit screen. In fact, we looked at doing that for 3.0, but decided it wasn't worth it for the reasons above.

Second: a Display view should be able to provide a custom property sheet
that is loaded into this settings form whenever you pick a display type.
These properties give the user options to set parameters for the chosen
view. A thumbnail view for instance could provide an option telling how
many thumbs are shown. The point is that you don't know this in advance
so the view should somehow provide this property sheet.

That'd be really nice. Ironically, that's easier to do if we keep it in the menu (or you'd need pop-ups or complex widgets on the edit screen).

Martin