Martin Aspeli wrote:
Hi all,

Ricardo Alves has been working (with me providing some guidance) on some incremental improvements to plone.app.portlets. We'd like to propose this for Plone 3.3:

 http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/244

+1 on the topic as such.

But as Wichert and Alex have pointed out the control
of blocking/inheriting might need some further
discussion to figure out how to get it right.
I too would prefer if we wouldn't introduce too many
different ways to effectively do the same things over
time just because the first attempt falls short in some
way.

To Jon's remark: of course this would be a great feature
and if Ricardo and Martin could get that supported this
would be truly great.

But let's consider what we have now first.
There will always be room for improvements.

Raphael

The key suggestions are:

- Create a "site wide" portlet category for portlets that should show on all pages (unless blocked). Currently, people have to use contextual portlets at the root of the site for this, which gets cumbersome since if you block them in one folder, you need to re-add all portlets in subfolders.

- Improve the contextual "manage portlets" screen so that you can see what portlets will disappear/appear when you block/unblock.

- Add a setting (actually, an annotation) to each individual portlet assignment that determines whether it is shown in subfolders or not. This will probably need to default to true, at least for migrated sites, but may be better off as defaulting to false. This will solve the problem of "I want this portlet in this folder, but not all sub-folders". Currently, you need to go and block contextual portlets in each sub-folder, which is a pain.

Each of these could be implemented separately, although they do go hand in hand.

Cheers,