On 17 okt 2008, at 01:29, Jon Stahl wrote:

One other thought to contribute to this topic:

Right now, the system renders all placeful portlets, then all group
portlets, then all type portlets.

Grouping is bad. Especially if you allow some form or ordering. No user wants to be bound by an arbriary technical reason for grouping.

If a user wants to have portlets in a "mixed" order, that is pretty much
impossible.

Perhaps we can add a simple "weight" value to each portlet, then order
portlets by weight, regardless of whether they are place, group or type
portlets?

There are some UI considerations, and maybe this is too invasive.  But
we get it a fair amount.

Weight? Why that? Why not allow them to be mixed as the user wants? Why that grouping at all? It's a technical reason not a usability reason. Just allow them to be mixed and you are done. I even would like to suggest to have the option to mix them on a user bases with drag and drop and store the order in cookies or something like that. We have that here in our intranet together with collapsible support and that works really well. But that's another topic ;-).

Danny.