it's certainly not an informed decision. how should or rather how could we possibly handle such a question?

pondering in bristol,

tom

On 10.12.2008, at 21:57, Jon Stahl wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: framework-team-boun...@lists.plone.org [mailto:framework-team-
boun...@lists.plone.org] On Behalf Of Wichert Akkerman
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:53 PM
To: framework-team@lists.plone.org
Subject: Re: [Framework-Team] Supported Plone Releases

Previously Jon Stahl wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: framework-team-boun...@lists.plone.org
[mailto:framework-team-
boun...@lists.plone.org] On Behalf Of Steve McMahon
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:31 AM
To: Framework Team

Why bring this up on the framework team list? The framework team
is
not
a governing body.

Then, who is? I certainly think that if the framework team makes a
decision on this, it would be widely respected and supported.

I think that the PF Board would prefer not to make the decision,
in
order to continue the tradition of the board not governing
development. And, I think the developer list is way too wide open.

+1, I believe the board would vastly prefer not to set the precedent
of
making technical decisions about Plone.  The Foundation "protects
and
promotes"; the community develops. :-)

But this is not a technical decision at all. This is a decision about
our ability and willpower to dedicate resources (skilled manpower) to
accopmlish something.

True enough.  But I think there is a long-standing consensus that
decisions regarding what software gets built and released should rest
with the community, not the board. And the "center of consensus" in the
community is the framework team, especially for decisions that require
focused effort from a few highly skilled people.

Like I said, I think the board is in generally in favor of this.  But
that's different from us "deciding" to continue making security fixes to 2.5.x. The community needs to decide to do that if feels it can/ should. And I think the community will tend to follow the framework team's lead
here.

:jon