Graham Perrin wrote:
> On 25 Dec 2008, at 17:08, Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> Comments? Anything else people want to know at this point?
>
> One question and one suggestion. Responses -- from the Team, not
> necessarily from Hanno -- need not be 'at this point', January some time
> will be fine.

There is no deadline on comments. I'd like to get the process and
discussion started now. When we finish depends on the outcome of the
discussion.

> Removal of a feature/code from a technology preview,
> removal of a feature/code from a Plone core release,
> trust in developers
>
> Recalling from the Evangelism forum a post
> <http://n2.nabble.com/Should-we-be-doing-things-like-this--tp1587801p1602360.html>
> concerning (amongst other things) compatibility and breakage, I think
> the following phrase may require clarification:
>
>> we can remove the feature again from the codebase. Inclusion into a
>> release can happen on the basis of trusting the developer who did the
>> change to follow up on it and maintain it. If he doesn't, we can
>> remove a feature again from the codebase.
>
> * remove from the base during technology preview phase?

The statement was only meant to cover the technology preview phase. At
some point we will need to relabel technology previews as a beta release
from which point on stability will be more important. Removal and change
in general will happen less in a beta phase but will still be allowed if
there are very good reasons for it. When we reach a release candidate we
make a guarantee on stability up to the final release.

> * remove from the base following a release?

We only remove features at well-defined points of the Plone lifetime. So
far the policy is to only do this in major releases like 3.0 and 4.0.
During the 4.x minor release cycle we will add new features and might
deprecate existing features, but we will not remove anything.

Hanno