On 05.05.2009, at 23:44, Steve McMahon wrote:

So, a couple of questions for us all:

1) If we call it Plone 4.0, can we restrict ourselves to a modest list
of improvements that will actually get coded this summer and tested
this fall?

that should be the litmus test for any feature IMHO, simple as that.

2) If we call it Plone 4.0, can we resist ourselves to changes that
will not break existing theme products or well-constructed Plone 3 add
ons?

a major release should be 'allowed' to break some things. but it should provide migration help for 3rd party devs; this is more a social skill than a technical skill. and i'm sure we can pull it off :)

e.g. 4.0 should contain blob support. that *will* break certain 3rd party products (mainly, of course, 'homebaked' blob products etc. any site that uses those will not work OOTB after upgrading to 4.0. that can't be helped per se. but we should make an effort to seek out any (sufficiently popular) 3rd party products and contact their developers and include them in the 4.0 process.

proactivity is the keyword here. don't call us, we'll call you.

just my €0.02,

tom