FWT!

A few notes as we start to spin up the Plone 4 process...

In contrast to the release-previously-known-as-Plone-4[1], this Plone 4 will be aggressive in its timeline, not its featureset. Though the details still need to be worked out, I'd like to see a release by December 1st, with at least a beta out by the time the conference rolls around. That means we'll have a completed product in less than 6 months. It's a very tight timeline, something you'll need to keep in mind as you're evaluating PLIPs for inclusion.

I'm approaching Plone 4 as a transitional release: a low-cost upgrade from the latest iteration of the 3.x series, providing a good platform for moving to the more aggressive technologies being implemented in Plone trunk. Nothing earth-shattering, just a solid step towards Plone's future.

Features? Well, that's your job, but I can certainly push a few of my favorites. ;) I'd really, really like to see us get to Zope 2.12/ Python 2.6; David Glick has been plugging away on that already. I also think we should try to throw the integrators a bone or twenty -- some better TTW customization options, improved install/upgrade/uninstall machinery, more javascripty hooks and the like. And since the meat of this transitional release isn't likely to generate a great amount of excitement from the masses, it'd be great to have Alex (and/or others) deliver a new (not Nu) default Plone theme and other assorted UI goodness to give us some sparkle.

I've created a dev buildout for Plone 4 [2]. We'll be using mr.developer to handle PLIP review bundles. Rather than create individual buildouts for each PLIP, I'd like to keep the particulars for each one in its own .cfg file [3] that can be pulled in with a -c. Branch packages as needed as in the past.

Looking forward to speaking with you tomorrow. This is going to be great!

Eric

[1] http://lists.plone.org/pipermail/framework-team/2008-December/002512.html
[2] https://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/buildouts/plone-coredev/branches/4.0/
[3]