Hello! I'm hoping to give an update on my work this past week and get some feedback on whether I'm heading in the right direction.

As some of you may have noticed, I've been working on a branch that can hopefully become the basis of Plone 4, including support for Python 2.6, Zope 2.12 (which is the first Zope 2 supporting python 2.6 and also the first official eggified Zope2) and CMF 2.2 (which will be the first CMF release that doesn't rely on Zope 2-style interfaces, which were removed in Zope 2.12...and also adds a few handy extension points). My basic approach is to start with the packages that make up Plone 3.3, and then backport the changes from trunk that seem non- risky. So far I haven't gotten through the entire history of CMFPlone trunk, nor through all of the rest of the packages, but I have at least gotten far enough to start up Zope and successfully add a Plone site.

Some of the changelogs that are relevant here, FYI:
Zope 2.12 release notes: http://docs.zope.org/zope2/releases/2.12/WHATSNEW.html
Zope 2.12 changelog: http://docs.zope.org/zope2/releases/2.12/CHANGES.html
CMFCore 2.2 changelog:
http://svn.zope.org/Products.CMFCore/trunk/Products/CMFCore/CHANGES.txt?view=auto
CMFDefault 2.2 changelog:
http://svn.zope.org/Products.CMFDefault/trunk/Products/CMFDefault/CHANGES.txt?view=auto

As I've worked my way along, I've found myself making a number of judgment calls on where to draw the line between bugfixes and changes that are significant enough to warrant discussion. In case anyone cares to object, here are a few things I opted to include that I thought might be controversial:
- some optimizations coming out of the 2 performance sprints
- switching action icons to use icon_expr instead of portal_actionicons (hannosch) — see also http://dev.plone.org/old/plone/ticket/8801
- switch to png icons (wiggy, dannyb)
- conversion of migration step registration to be based on GS upgrade steps (hannosch) - see also http://dev.plone.org/old/plone/ticket/8802 - c22120 and following - removal of the globalized variables for performance reasons (malthe, hannosch)
- c22987 - remove unused Favorite content type (hannosch)

There were also a number of things I decided not to merge immediately until we can have some more discussion or finish some needed tasks. Some of these may not actually be desired until 5.0... I would really appreciate feedback here especially. - c20188, c20190, c23197 — removal of PloneFolder (hannosch) — need to double check whether this requires a migration for any persistent objects, and write that if necessary - c20337, c20338, c22979, c22981, c22988 - switch the control panel to be based on normal actions in a new action category, rather than using a special control panel tool (hannosch) — see also http://dev.plone.org/old/plone/ticket/8804 - c20365, c20368, c20369 — moved fullscreen css to a separate file (spliter) — needs a migration - c22831, c22832, c22891, c22951 — remove external editor (hannosch) — see http://dev.plone.org/old/plone/ticket/8592 - c22847 — remove wicked from core (hannosch) — see http://dev.plone.org/old/plone/ticket/8593 (but note that as of this week Carsten Senger has been doing some maintenance...yay!) - c22969 — removal of AT reference graphviz visualization (hannosch) — needs a migration to update actions for existing types - c23193 — turning default_error_message into a browser view (hannosch) — seems like a decent idea to me, but as implemented here it removes the redirector and content search features - c23198, c23199 — removal of portal_interface tool (hannosch) — if we remove this then we lose the way to check for marker interfaces from action expressions, for instance. also, it's missing a migration - c23226, c23233 — moving migrations to plone.app.upgrade and using all GS without the migration tool (hannosch) — -0 from me...I think moving these to a separate package may actually make it harder to keep migrations in sync with the Plone release they belong too, simply from the standpoint of reviewing svn history - c23335 — Changed workflow actor variable from user/getUserName to user/getId (hannosch) — needs a migration - c23337 — Removed strangely implemented users search from the users folder (hannosch) — I didn't look carefully enough yet to see whether this is a good idea or not :) - c23343 - Removed initial content from default installation (hannosch) — This probably does belong in a profile in a separate package that is included by the standard installers. But creating that hasn't been done yet. - Consolidating the skin directories into just plone_browser, plone_resources, and plone_images....plus moving 3rd party javascripts to plone.app.javascript. — I'm -0 on this. Keeping the old layout would make it easier to merge things from the 3.x branch; switching to the new layout would make it easier to merge from trunk. Keeping the old layout has the advantage of not obsoleting a lot of existing documentation, and not changing something that we think there's a good chance we'll change again in 5.0 when we hopefully have a better unified Zope 3 vs. CMF skinning story. - Archetypes c8430 — return unicode encoding by default (hannosch) — My charset and encoding fu is weak. Is this what we want?

Some more general comments on risks / outstanding concerns:
- I need to finish going through the changesets that I haven't looked at yet. - There are a number of failing tests in CMFPlone that need to be investigated, and I haven't even tried to run the tests in most of the other packages yet. - The current situation with regard to PlacelessTranslationService needs to be reviewed to make sure that our language negotiator and product i18n dirs are still getting registered properly following simplification/removal of Five's Zope2 i18n integration layer. Hanno said he could probably take a look at this. - I switched back to Zope 2.12.0b1 for now because with Zope 2.12.0b2 there is an issue preventing the Unauthorized error when you first try to access the ZMI from getting propagated into an HTTP authentication request. I haven't had time to dig into this yet although I did check a non-Plone Zope 2.12.0b2 and it didn't seem to be an issue there. - We need to make plone.recipe.zope2instance work with an eggified zope. Currently it doesn't know where to find the mkzopeinstance script or other skeleton configuration. I made a quick hacky branch to make my dev buildout work, but this needs some more careful work. - I commented out references to KSS rather than trying to make the adjustments needed to make it work, since there's been some discussion of removing KSS from Plone core and because I don't have access to the KSS repository. - CMF 2.2 has not yet been released, and Zope 2.12 is still in beta. So we'll need to do some coordination in terms of release schedules.

If you want to try this out / contribute, the mr.developer-based buildout is at http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/buildouts/plone-coredev/branches/4.0/davisagli-zope212-cmf22-compatibility.cfg ...if you find a changeset that still needs to be backported, please feel free to do so as long as you make sure the svn mergeinfo remains accurate.

David Glick
Web Developer
ONE/Northwest

New tools and strategies for engaging people in protecting the environment

http://www.onenw.org
davidgl...@onenw.org
work: (206) 286-1235 x32
mobile: (206) 679-3833

Subscribe to ONEList, our email newsletter!
Practical advice for effective online engagement
http://www.onenw.org/full_signup