Alec Mitchell wrote:
I concur that the globalize stuff is a serious hack and should be
removed at some point.  However, I don't think 4.0 is the right time
to remove it considering the huge impact it will have on 3rd-party
products.  If removing it doesn't result in a significant performance
improvement (and apparently it does not), then I'd suggest we continue
to live with it until the "break-everything" 5.0 release.  We didn't
have a PLIP for this and it would be a major disruption for 3rd party
developers and integrators.

+1

Perhaps we could find some clever way to deprecate access to the
globalized attributes (e.g. make them all lazy lookups and issue a
warning on first access)?

+1