Hi Alex,

you know I've always been interested in the default theme of Plone. I'm really curious about the new "refresh" of Plone. If you need some help for the visual design I'd glad to give some of my time. There is also a couple of people in Reflab/Mediatria that are willing to contribute: Antonio, who works mostly on UI and JS and Giulio who's a visual designer and skinner.

Also consider that the work we did back in old days of Plone 3 (October 2007) with Capri and other themes were precisely aimed into "refreshing" the Plone default theme with: 1) updated logo (had been officially announced a couple of days before the sprint)
2) updated (and extended) icon theme
3) accessibility (contrasts/colors included)
4) have a base theme for skinning
5) "recongnizable" / keeping Plone visual identity
6) nice use of typography
7) new use of colors for user actions and portlets
8) grid (fixed width)

I'm glad to see that many of these elements plus some new one "fluid", HTML5, etc. are in the PLIP: nice work!

I'm not sure how the review/PLIP process works for the visual design but I'd also bring the new design to the attention of the Plone evangelism team, just for a feedback. Then, once the PLIP is approved, it would be interesting to *promote* the new visual design and especially it's implementation.

Let us know what we can do.
Cheers, Francesco.