On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Laurence Rowe <l...@lrowe.co.uk> wrote:
> 2010/1/6 Alex Clark <acl...@aclark.net>:
>> So are they the same or not? If so, then we can stop feeling like
>> idiots for missing 'bin/instance console' and continuing to use runzope ;-)
>> I'm getting the impression 'bin/instance console' is just a convenience.

In the end both of them prepare an OS environment and execute
Zope2/Startup/run.py.

The main difference is that bin/instance is easier to type and is a
Python script. "sh parts/instance/runzope" is a Unix shell script, so
it's not available on all platforms. And in the zope2instance version
used for Plone 4 runzope does no longer exist.

> Since plone.recipe.zope2instance puts the egg paths in the instance
> zope.conf, parts/instance/bin/runzope should be equivalent I think.

Not quite. The recipe used to construct a Python path and put it into
runzope ;-) But luckily we don't have to do that anymore, as buildout
takes care of all that script generation stuff and constructing the
right sys.path for us.

Hanno