Hi.

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Martin Aspeli <optilude+li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 August 2010 09:52, Alec Mitchell <ap...@columbia.edu> wrote:
>> Though I voted against the inclusion of the UUID PLIP on it's own, if
>> the link-by-uuid PLIP makes good use of it, then it certainly could be
>> worth including.
>
> I'd like to work with David to make sure that happens. It seems like
> an obvious win.

Please be aware that the link-by-uid functionality is multi-lingual
aware. As such it relies on looking up the translations of any UID
target. If you change the behavior to use a different uid mechanism,
it becomes more expensive to calculate those translations, as we'd
have to convert from AT UID's to uuid's a number of times.

I'd prefer if we kept all reference / link related functionality to
use the AT functionality for now.

Once we have plone.uuid as part of core Plone, I'm planning to rewrite
LinguaPlone to make use of this instead of the AT uid's. At that point
we can more easily switch features over to the new mechanism. So far
as I was hoping to see the plone.uuid feature to make it into 4.1,
which would give me enough time to finish the LinguaPlone move for
4.2.

I can only work on this if we do get plone.uuid into 4.1 though.
Requiring the complete uuid installation as part of a LinguaPlone
upgrade is too much to ask from users.

Hanno