Hi,

On 3 September 2010 15:18, Laurence Rowe <l...@lrowe.co.uk> wrote:
> On 2 September 2010 22:16, Martin Aspeli <optilude+li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Laurence,
>>
>> +1 to everything here.
>>
>> Other big things for me:
>>
>>  - I think we want Deco GUI + Blocks rendering as an optional add-on
>> for Plone 4.x at some point, to get this tested properly.
>
> We certainly want more people to start using it and use it for
> customer projects. It does represent an invasive and radical change
> from the status quo, so it is much more of a risk to include in 4.x as
> a supported add-on than Dexterity for instance. It's certainly
> something we need to talk about more. (And in response to Roel, I'll
> certainly be at the conference and keen to talk about it there.)

I don't think we should say "this is supported". I just think we
should allow the *Deco* documentation to say "you can legitimately
test this with Plone 4.2" or whatever. That means we may need to PLIP
things for 4.x that enable Deco to work well, or "backport" things
that otherwise would be in Plone 5 only, if they can benefit users of
4.x. The reasons to do this would be to reduce the risk of Deco
bitrotting because no-one is able to use it except in
super-experimental setups. It won't be a mainstream option until Plone
5, but some greenfields projects may be able to become early adopters
if we don't make it *too* difficult for them.

>>  - I think we want WSGI as a supported deployment option in 4.x, 5.0
>> at the latest, via the Zope 2.13 WSGI work
>
> WSGI capability will be in Zope 2.13 / Plone 4.1 and while it will
> certainly be considered experimental rather than supported at first, I
> expect people will start gaining experience with it. I'm hopeful that
> we might be able to *require* wsgi for 5.0, but that will depend on
> how things work out over the next year or so with 4.x.

Right. I think this is similar: a legitimate option for those who know
what they're doing and are willing to help build the future.

Martin